Fifty-nine teams battled each other and the elements at the 2021 J/70 North American Championship hosted by Annapolis Yacht Club (Maryland USA). Despite breezy conditions during the registration days, Mother Nature then turned off the winds, allowing three races to determine the Championship. 2017 J/70 World Champion Peter Duncan on Relative Obscurity made the most of the one day of racing, lodging a 2,3,5 for 10 points and the North Americans’ title. Ryan McKillen’s Surge placed second overall with 13 points, followed by Terry Hutchinson and Jenn Norwood-Wulff on USA419 at 24 points. Zachary Segal’s USA1154 topped the 24-boat Corinthian division, and Doug Rastello’s Good to Go bested the eight-boat One-Pro Division. More than half of the teams competing were either all-amateurs or having just one professional crew.
Top Five Overall:
- Relative Obscurity, Peter Duncan / Willem Van Waay / Carolos Robles / Victor Diaz de Leon – 2 -3 -5 ; 10
- Surge, Ryan McKillen / John Wallace / Lucas Calabrese / Sam Loughborough – 9 -2 -2 ; 13
- USA 419, Terry Hutchinson/ Jenn Norwood-Wulff / Gil Hackel / Dan Morris / Scott Nixon – 13 -1 -10 ; 24
- Stampede, USA839, Bruno Pasquinelli / Charlie Mckee / Jonathan McKee / Joe Morris – 10 -9 -7 ; 26
- Catapult, USA65, Joel Ronning / Chris Stocke / Patrick Wilson / Morgan Reeser – 3 -7 -17 ; 27
Photos are available on the International J/70 Class Facebook page, and complete results may be found at https://yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=13209.